14 Former Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl Participants Selected to 2017 NFL Pro Bowl
Later this month, Camping World Stadium will play host to the NFL’s Pro Bowl for the first time ever.
On January 29, AFC and NFC superstars including the likes of Tom Brady, Antonio Brown, Dak Prescott and Orlando’s own Ha Ha Clinton-Dix have all been selected and named to the Pro Bowl rosters, most of which should make the trip to Orlando.
Of the 88 players initially selected to this year’s Pro Bowl, 22 have previously played in an Orlando Bowl including 13 in the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl. Those players are listed below in chronological order of their appearance in the bowl:
- Tom Brady (1999 Citrus Bowl)
- Cameron Wake (2003 Capital One Bowl)
- Thomas Davis (2004 Capital One Bowl)
- Joe Thomas (2006 & 2007 Capital One Bowl)
- Maurkice Pouncey (2008 Capital One Bowl)
- Geno Atkins (2009 Capital One Bowl)
- A.J. Green (2009 Capital One Bowl)*
- Patrick Peterson (2010 Capital One Bowl)
- Le’Veon Bell (2011 Capital One Bowl)
- Dont’a Hightower (2011 Capital One Bowl)
- Julio Jones (2011 Capital One Bowl)
- J. Mosley (2011 Capital One Bowl)
- Jadeveon Clowney (2012 & 2014 Capital One Bowl)*
* indicates the player will not compete in the Pro Bowl due to injury
UPDATE: Entering the NFL’s Conference Championship Weekend, several players have pulled out of the game due to injuries allowing several other stars to receive an invitation to play in the game. Jadeveon Clowney and A.J. Green both will miss the 2017 meeting of league stars because of lingering injuries. Of the additions, four more former Orlando bowl participants have been added to this year’s Pro Bowl rosters, three of which competed in the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl.
- Dustin Colquitt (2002 Citrus Bowl)
- Carlos Dunlap (2007 Capital One Bowl)
- Sean Lee (2010 Capital One Bowl)
With the injuries and additions, the current roster features 24 players that played in an Orlando bowl during their collegiate careers including 14 former Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl participants.
Tom Brady, who quarterbacked Michigan to a 45-31 victory over Arkansas in the 1999 Florida Citrus Bowl, leads all 13 Pro Bowlers with 12 career Pro Bowl selections. Cleveland Browns offensive lineman and former Wisconsin Badger, Joe Thomas, follows close behind having been voted to the Pro Bowl in all 10 years he’s been in the league.
Of the 16 players named to this year’s Pro Bowl roster who have played in the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl:
- Two have played in the bowl game twice (Joe Thomas & Jadeveon Clowney)
- Two will be making their first Pro Bowl appearances (Dont’a Hightower & Jadeveon Clowney)
- Four played in the 2011 installment, more than any other year (Le’Veon Bell, Dont’a Hightower, Julio Jones & C.J. Mosley)
- Eleven were victorious in their Orlando appearances, combining for an 12-4 record (Tom Brady, Dustin Colquitt, Thomas Davis, Joe Thomas (x2), Geno Atkins, A.J. Green, Sean Lee, Dont’a Hightower, Julio Jones, C.J. Mosley & Jadeveon Clowney (x2))
2017 Pro Bowl tickets are available now – click here to purchase.